- Students are required to work in a group of 3-4 members, and are free to choose their own group members (full-time or part-time mode).
- Students will need to find an interesting topic of their own or refer to topics provided by the Departments. The project topic is not limited to academic context, but can also be extended to a community or corporate outreach project.
- Students should seek their supervisor themselves. The supervisor must be a staff member either from the Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science or from the Department of Computer Science.
- Students have to complete a registration form within the registration period to enroll in DASC7600. Each group should submit one registration form only. Please note that registration will not be accepted if
- the supervisor is not within the list of potential supervisors provided by the Departments
- the registration form is not endorsed by the supervisor, or
- the group size is not within the required range.
- Students should NOT enroll in DASC7600 on HKU Portal themselves. They will be informed of the registration result by email. Those approved to take DASC7600 would normally see the enrolment record in HKU Portal within June.
The registration period for DASC7600 is 2 - 23 May 2023. REGISTRATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED OUTSIDE OF THE PERIOD.
| ||Interim Report||Oral Presentation||Written Report|
|Requirement||5,000-6,000 words||40-min Presentation +
10-min Q&A||<18,000 words|
|Submission Deadline||10 September 2023 (Sunday)||/||Mid-November (Note 1);|
7 December 2023 (Thursday) (Note 2)
|Presentation Date||/||In late November 2023||/|
Note 1: Students are expected to submit a completed report by the deadline, and penalties are expected for late submission.
Note 2: Students are allowed to make minor adjustments after the presentation with reference to instructions from the supervisors.
Additional Information and Reminder
Please be reminded that the ultimate responsibility of ensuring the course requirements as well as graduation requirements fulfilled should rest with students. It is also students' responsibility to prioritize their study when considering any other concurrent engagements.
Students should take initiative to communicate/meet with their supervisor from time to time to update their supervisor the progress of their projects.
Students who plan to take any internship during the period of DASC7600 should obtain the consent of their supervisor and Course Coordinator asap and before the internship starts. If the internship starts before a supervisor is sought, the teacher should be consulted before he/she agrees to be the supervisor.
If students enrolled in the course as a group, the Work Distribution Form should be included in the interim and final written reports and be endorsed by all members of the group.
Form(s) for Download
- Course coordinator:
Dr. Marius Hofert
Tel: (852) 3917 6042
- General office:
Ms. Clara Lian
Tel: (852) 3917 6042