- Students are required to work in a group of 3-4 members, and are free to choose their own group members (full-time or part-time mode).
- Students will need to find an interesting topic of their own. The project topic is not limited to academic context, but can also be extended to a community or corporate outreach project.
- Students should seek their supervisors themselves. The supervisor must be a staff member of the Department.
- Students have to complete a registration form on or before the deadline of application to enroll in STAT8089. Please note that applications will not be accepted if the registration form is not endorsed by the supervisor or the group size is not within the required range. Each group should submit one registration form only.
- ALL students of the group should enroll in the course STAT8089 in HKU Portal in the same day of the submission of their application form. Applications from students who fail to do so may be rejected.
The deadline of application for full-time students is the end of the add-drop period of Semester 2 while that for part-time students is the end of the add-drop period of Semester 1. LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Please note that STAT8089 and STAT8017 are mutually exclusive. Students who take or have taken STAT8089 are not allowed to take STAT8017, and vice versa.
| ||Proposal (Note 1)||Written Report (Note 2)||Oral Presentation|
|Requirement||300-500 words||15,000 words||30-min Presentation + 5-10 mins Q&A|
|25 February 2024 (Sunday) /|
15 October 2023 (Sunday)
|21 April 2024 (Sunday)||/|
|Presentation Date||/||/||Within May 2024 (TBC by the Department)|
Note 1: Students enrolled in the course should submit a project proposal by the set deadline. The proposal should include but not limited to the following:
- Basic Project Information (e.g. project title, name of supervisor and group members)
- Brief Project Description of at least 300 words
Students should take their initiative to communicate/meet with their supervisors from time to time to update their supervisors the progress of their projects.
Note 2: In addition to the project proposal, students must submit ONE written report per group by the deadline, and the Work Distribution Form should be included in and be endorsed by all members of the group. More details on the submission method would be announced after students' enrolment.
Additional Information and Reminder
Please be reminded that the ultimate responsibility of ensuring the course requirements as well as graduation requirements fulfilled should rest with students.
Form(s) for Download
Work Distribution Form